Government Law College – Madurai
The Department of Legal Studies, as a separate department of the government, came into existence on 07.01.1953 to improve the quality of legal education in TamilNadu. The Madras Law College was the only college under its control at that time. To meet the long felt needs of the southern districts of Tamilnadu, the Government decided to establish a Law College at Madurai in 1974. The blue print of the college was prepared by the then Director of Legal Studies, Prof.A.Palaniswamy and Government Law College affiliated to the Madurai Kamaraj University started functioning from the academic year 1974-75.
The initial and organizational arrangements of the college were done by Prof.C.Rajaraman M.A.LL.B(Cantab) Bar-at-Law, then Director of legal studies incharge who was appointed by the Government as Special officer for the purpose.
Initially the college was housed at the Old university Building on Alagarkoil Road,Tallakulam,Madurai -2. In July 1980 the College was shifted to the new Building at Dr. Thangaraj Road, K.K.Nagar, Madurai 625 020.
The College Offers the Following Courses:
1. 3 Years B.L.Degree Course
2. 5 Years B.A.B.L.Degree Course
3. 2 Years M.L Degree Course.
(Branch VII PROPERTY LAW)
From the academic year 1997-98 the college is affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr.Ambedkar Law University, Chennai -28.